Sunday, October 7, 2012

Lake Meredith

Today was insane.  All I wanted to do is get a library book and the library was not open until 2pm.  Therefore, I decided to head out to Lake Meredith to check out the town of Amarillo's water supply.  I ended up going down a beautiful road with rolling hills (at 70mph) but it was taking forever and I didn't see any water.  I wasn't sure I was going to find lake Meredith at all.  All of the sudden I was going up a hill and I looked out the side window and the hills dropped into canyons.  Very euphoric feeling I have only felt once before in the Sand Hills of Nebraska in a cow pasteur.  So awesome. I literally felt like I was driving off a cliff.  I finally found the sign for lake Meredith and truly in the middle of nowhere.  I prayed that I was not bitten by a rattlesnake, attacked by a boar, shot by a hunter, taken by a rapist-murderer, eaten by fire ants, or stalked by a cougar.

I drove down the canyon awing at their beauty and followed the signs for a boat dock (there was no one around).  I drive a little further and I notice a boat dock leading into a grassy field.  The lake was not there.  I was greeted by crackled earth and cat tails.  I then walked down a path with my gray flats on hoping to not find any critters that would attack my feet.  I found many shells laying along the path and as far as my eyes could see, no water.

I ended up seeing a car! and followed them back to the campground.  They turned around and came back towards me.  I rolled down my window and spoke to the older man and his wife and I asked them where I can find the water?  He said the water used to be 150 ft deep and now it is 23.  The man said that I would have to go back to the main road and make 2 rights at the first intersections that I came to.

So...I went back out of the canyon and I found another recreation area before I came to the intersection.
When I went down to the boat ramp to my surprise there was a boat dock with grass growing and still no water!  As I went further down the road I went across a bridge where the river like many were completely dried up.  I suddenly understand the importance of what I am doing.

After following the mans directions I ended up finding Lake Meredith.  I am really worried about the people here and the children I meet everyday in my clinicals.  People here really do not seem worried.

Today I applied for the Geological Society of Amarillo I hope that they accept me.  I really need to make some connections to gain access of the reality of this place.


 Lake Meredith, Fritch Texas, 2012

Out of all of the things I was scared of A TARANTULA!!   I guess everything was surprising me today!

 Tarantula, Amarillo Texas, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment